top of page

Graduate Visa

The Graduate Visa route gives a Graduate the permission to stay in the UK for at least 2 years after successfully completing a course in the UK.


You will need to be in the UK when you apply for this visa and the route does also allow you to work at any work place that you want and is not a sponsored route like the Skilled Worker visa route.

1. What is a Graduate Visa Application?


The Graduate Visa Application is for people who have previously entered the UK as students and have successfully completed their studies.


The Graduate Visa route will be unsponsored, meaning the applicant does not need to have a job offer to apply for the route.


The new route is to help the UK government to achieve the ambition set out in the International Education Strategy and at the same time to bring in the most talented students to the UK who can remain here and work following graduation.


There are various requirements that you will need to meet in order to satisfy the Home Office under this route. We advise all of our clients the requirements that they need to meet once we are instructed by you to act for you in advising and filing your application.

2. Benefits of a Graduate Visa?


If you are looking to switch to this category following the completion of your studies you will find that you do not need to be sponsored, do not need a job offer or meet the income level.


This visa route allows a graduate to remain in the UK to work and showcase their talents for a further two years following completion of their studies.


It is not a difficult route to enter and is therefore very beneficial for students who after qualifying wish to remain in the UK through this route and then later switch into the Skilled Worker visa from within the UK.

3. What are the requirements for a Graduate Visa Application?

To be eligible for a Graduate visa, you need to have successfully completed the course you took with your current Student visa or Tier 4 (General) student visa. Whether you can apply will also depend on other factors, some of which include:

  • the education provider for your course, for example your university or college

  • the kind of course you took

  • how long you studied in the UK for


Your education provider from where you graduated must be a licenced sponsor with a track record of compliance.

Your course should usually be one of the following:

  • a UK bachelor’s degree

  • a UK master’s degree

  • a UK PhD or doctorate

You can also apply if you completed any of the following:

  • a law conversion course approved by the Solicitors Regulation Authority

  • the Legal Practice Course in England and Wales, the Solicitors Course in Northern Ireland, or a Diploma in Professional Legal Practice in Scotland

  • the Bar Practice Course in England and Wales, or the Bar Course in Northern Ireland

  • a foundation programme in medicine or dentistry

  • a Postgraduate Certificate in Education (PGCE)

  • a Postgraduate Diploma in Education (PGDE)


You may also be able to apply if passing your course made you eligible for a job that’s regulated by UK law or a UK public authority. Your education provider can tell you if your course is eligible.


You must also have been in the UK for at least 12 months or the full length of your course, whichever is shorter and must be in the UK when you apply for this visa.


If you were unable to apply because you had to remain in your home country due to COVID-19 and take lessons, you can still apply if you meet some further requirements.


There are various other requirements which you will also need to meet when applying for your initial, extension visa or indefinite leave to remain.


We advise our clients on the requirements from the offset and allocate a dedicated immigration lawyer equipped with all of the necessary skills to handle your Graduate Visa application.

4. What can NIDO do for you?


At NIDO we are here to help and assist you whilst offering you advice when applying for your Graduate Visa application. We have experience and the resources to help you switch into this category following the completion of your studies in the UK. Our experts guide you through the complicated documents and correspond according to the Home Office requirements.


With a dedicated team of Immigration Lawyers at NIDO we can guide you with ease on ensuring that your application as under the Graduate Visa route is filed with the correct evidence to satisfy the Home Office that you should be allowed to continue residing in the UK following the completion of your studies.


With the offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester, we are one of the very few Immigration Solicitors that can be found by businesses around the world as we are listed on the Government's Department for International Trade Platform.

5. Fee

At NIDO, we offer a Professional Service with Reasonable Costs. All of our Fees are excluding VAT where VAT is applicable. For a Graduate Visa Application, our fees are between £1,000 to £2,000. Any costs payable to the Home Office will be advised at the stage when you contact us.

+44 (0) 333 300 3497

Contact us

Read our latest insights

Subscribe to our mailing list

Start your case

Contact us now for help in your matter. We would be happy to help and eager to listen to how we can help you.

+44 (0) 333 300 3497

bottom of page