top of page

Complete Guide on UK Expansion Worker Visa (Global Business Mobility)

From 11 April 2022, the Sole Representative of an Overseas Business visa was replaced by a completely new route which is called UK Expansion Worker Visa (Global Business Mobility).

1. What can you do under the UK Expansion Worker Visa?


Under this new route, the overseas business can send up to 5 workers to the UK to establish the UK business. This is an advantage of the new route compared to the old one where the overseas business was only allowed to send one representative to the UK previously.

2. What are the key requirements for the overseas business to establish a business in the UK under UK Expansion Worker Visa?


Similar to the Sole Representative route, under the UK Expansion Workers, the overseas business must not trade in the UK prior to the key personnel being granted the UK Expansion Worker Visa.

However, before applying for the UK Expansion Worker, the overseas business must either:

  • Register with the Companies House, or

  • Have evidence showing that the overseas business has premises in the UK.


The overseas business also needs to show that it has been trading outside of the UK actively in the last 3 years.

Furthermore, the overseas business needs to provide the Home Office with a business plan to demonstrate how the overseas business can expand in the UK and address specific requirements from the Home Office in terms of business expansion.


Another key requirement is the salary the overseas business will pay the employees to come over to the UK. The general salary threshold for this route is £42,400 per annum.


After registering with the Companies House or acquiring a business premise in the UK, the overseas business must apply for a sponsor licence to sponsor up to 5 people to come over to the UK to establish the UK business.


Once the overseas business is granted a sponsor licence, it can assign certificates of sponsorship to those who will be in charge of establishing and developing the UK business. Upon the certificates of sponsorship assignment, those employees can apply for UK Expansion Workers Visa to come over to the UK.

3. Is there any specific requirement relating to the business size and sector?


No. Currently, there is no requirement regarding the size and sector of the business.

4. What are the key requirements for the employees to be sent to the UK under UK Expansion Workers route?


As mentioned above, the first requirement is the salary the overseas business needs to pay the employee which is at least £42,400 per year.


The employee is also needed to work for a job at an appropriate skill level and is assigned an appropriate job code.


Under this new route, currently, there is no requirement of the English language for those to be sent to the UK.

5. Can the employees bring their partners and children to the UK under UK Expansion Workers route?


Yes. Under the UK Expansion Workers route, the applicants will be able to bring their dependent partner and children to join them. If their visas are granted, they will be allowed to stay in the UK for the same period as the main applicant.

6. How long are the UK Expansion Workers allowed to stay in the UK?

The applicants are allowed to stay for 12 months after the start date of the job, or the time specified on the certificate of sponsorship plus 14 days, whichever is shorter.


The applicants will then be able to extend the visa for another 12 months.


It should be noted that however the period the applicant stays in the UK is not counted toward the settlement. Contact our expert team for advice on the settlement options in the UK after being granted UK Expansion Workers visa.

7. Can the applicant have a second job?

The applicant is not allowed to have a second job once being granted the UK Expansion Worker visa. They however can do voluntary work, and travel in and out of the UK during the time working as a UK Expansion Worker.

8. How long does it take to get a decision on the UK Expansion Worker visa application?


Normally, it would take 3 weeks if the applicant stays outside of the UK, and 8 weeks if they stay inside the UK, to get the decision on the UK Expansion Worker visa application.

9. What can NIDO do for you to apply for a UK Expansion Worker Visa?


At NIDO we are here to help and assist you whilst offering you advice when applying for the extension of your sole representative of an overseas business visa. We have experience and the resources to help your Business enter the UK using the Sole Representative to help your business grow. Our expert guide you through the complicated documents and correspond according to the Home Office requirements.


With the offices in London, Birmingham and Manchester, we are one of the very few Business Immigration Solicitors that can be found by businesses around the world as we are listed on the Government's Department for International Trade Platform. Also our support will not come to a stop once you have been granted your visa. Unlike other firms we aim to continue supporting you through your stay assisting you and your business in the UK until you are able to settle within the UK.

+44 (0) 333 300 3497

Contact us

Read our latest insights

Subscribe to our mailing list

Start your case

Contact us now for help in your matter. We would be happy to help and eager to listen to how we can help you.

+44 (0) 333 300 3497

bottom of page